I spent the past week in Northern California. The day of my arrival coincided with the last day of classes (oops!) which included an “oral final” for my Women & Religion course. I had made prior arrangements to call one of my classmates and take take the oral part ala speakerphone. It worked! I discussed Mary Daly and Amina Wadud’s take on the subject of virginity loudly inside the rental car area. I’m sure my fellow car renters felt like they had stumbled into an educational bonus…or were just appalled. Honestly, I am kinda rooting for the latter.
In addition to educating society on feminist theory I did the following in an 8-day period:
1. Slept in a tipi.
2. Had a cliff note version of Shabbat dinner with my parents (their first!)
3. Attended a murder trial (guilty!)
4. Camped with my dad.
5. Watched “Pollyanna” with my mom.
6. Set up a VFW (Veterens of Foreign Wars) breakfast.
7. Guest taught a group of high school drama students.
8. Visited with friends.
9. Discussed Boboh-the-cat’s artistic future.
10. Drank a wine called “you are a redneck if you drinks this.”
11. Made friends with a dog named “Bob.”
12. Survived not having wifi.
…it was a busy week. School starts up again on Thursday. I am most excited for my Hebrew course…hoping my six weeks at Ulpan in Tel Aviv will give me a head start.